Sunil Kaushik explains how he has used origami, the Japanese art of paper folding, in lean workshops to provide students with a hands-on experience for understanding process thinking and process steps.
In the September 2014 Lean Enterprise News, a member-benefit publication of the Lean Enterprise Division, Kurt Stuke explores the idea of using the character of Don Quixote as a role model for reconstructing quality by prioritizing imagination, commitment, and purpose.
by Paul Keller and Thomas Pyzdek
This handbook explains how to define and deploy Six Sigma projects focused on key stakeholder requirements and carry out data-driven management. It walks you through the phases of DMAIC and DMADV and demonstrates how to use the statistical tools and problem-solving techniques of Six Sigma with screenshots of Minitab and Excel applications.
The new fourth edition has been updated to include:
- Online quizzes for Six Sigma certification
- Links to videos that walk you through specific processes, such as Minitab functions, statistical process control, and how to read a Pareto chart
- Coverage of lean methodologies
ASQ member Christine Bales, working with her employer AABB, is implementing quality management systems (QMS) for blood transfusion services in Africa. The goal of the program is to ensure an abundant, safe blood supply for those in need.
by Joseph A. DeFeo
Joseph A. DeFeo distills Dr. Juran’s life’s work on quality with some of today’s practices into an action plan for creating a strong, successful, globally competitive enterprise.
This guide explains how leaders can:
- Embrace quality and not miss an opportunity to improve performance
- Lead an organization through sustainable financial change while fostering a culture of quality
- Stop useless initiatives by aligning goals with the strategic plan
- Challenge new product or service development methods
- Create breakthroughs in baseline performance
- Ensure repeatable and compliant processes
- Simplify macro processes with business process management
- Execute benchmarking to sustain market leadership
The September 2014 issue of Software Quality Professional features an article detailing how a two-person startup enterprise used the ISO/IEC 29110 standard to plan and execute a software development project to create a social networking website for travelers.
In the cover story of the September 2014 issue of QP, Paul Palmes presents 15 things you need to know about the upcoming ISO 9001 revision, which is expected to be published in the fall of 2015.
Visit Standards Central to find more resources to help you prepare for the next revision of ISO 9001, including videos, articles, webcasts, and presentation materials.
by D. H. Stamatis
This summary guide explores the process of evaluation of risk by utilizing one of the core methodologies available: the failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA).
It provides fast information regarding failures and how to deal with them. Topics covered include:
- Reliability and FMEA
- Prerequisites of FMEA
- What an FMEA is
- The FMEA form and rankings
- Types of FMEA
How much time do top performers in developing and counseling employees spend on training and development?
See how your organization compares to top performers in the number of learning days provided per employee and the time to close capability gaps through training.
In the Summer 2014 issue of Competitive Advantage, a member-benefit publication of the Service Quality Division, Anton G. Camarota discusses how quality managers can keep everyone centered on what matters for an organization’s long-term success.
by Gary Powers
Designed to teach the fundamentals of trigonometry, this text can be used by students new to the subject, in training programs, and as a self-study refresher. It uses mechanical, civil, and architectural applications to enhance its explanations of real-world scenarios.
The examples in each chapter demonstrate a specific type of problem-solving procedure and are followed by practice exercises. Answers and complete solutions to the exercises are included in the appendix.
A global study by Forbes Insights and ASQ investigates how a more quality driven culture can accelerate business performance.
Presentation slide decks and other documents to help communicate the message of ISO 9001:2015 are available from the ISO sub-committee responsible for the development of International Standards and documents in the ISO 9000 series. Among the documents you can download from the ISO website are:
- ISO 9001:2015 Revision Overview - General users (PPTX): Presentation slides providing an overview for general users of the standard
- ISO 9001:2015: “Risk Based Thinking (PPTX): Presentation slides on of how the future ISO 9001:2015 standard addresses the topic of “risk”
- “Risk” in ISO 9001:2015 (DOCX): Paper explaining how risk is addressed in ISO 9001
- (Draft) Transition Planning Guidance for ISO 9001:2015 (PDF): Guidance to help users and other organizations prepare for transitioning to the revised edition of ISO 9001
- Correlation matrices between ISO 9001:2008 and ISO/DIS 9001 (DOC): Matrices that help illustrate where to find new clauses and revisions
For more resources and information, visit the homepage of ISO’s Technical Committee no. 176, Sub-committee no. 2.